Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November's End






In order to wrap up November, I'll need to do some sort of montage that flashes over all the nice bucks that were taken around the county. However, where we hunt, I don't think anything over 3 1/2 was shot. The buck that mom found her first set of sheds to got killed less than a quarter mile from us. He was a respectable buck. I'd like to see him up close. A neighboring hunter shot and missed Splitbrow. Wheew. What a relief. I hope he stays nocturnal until after muzzleloader. Another neighbor shot a 9 point, but he said it wasn't anything that big. I'll just have to see for myself.
The rut was slow at first, and again from like the 6-10th we had south winds of some kind and warm temps. I saw four deer opening morning and that was about it. The deer were out there, it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Then on the 18th we got a bunch of snow. That put a damper on what foods were being used the most. Since then, we've gotten about 6-10 inches of snow. The deer have started to move around though. I want to move my cameras, but it's right in the middle of muzzleloader season right now and it's not an ideal time to be driving a snowmobile or anything else around for that matter. There's too much snow to drive my truck out in the fields, but it's not quite froze up solid enough to trust taking a snowmobile around in the swamp. So I guess my cameras will sit where they are for another couple weeks. Maybe by the tail end of muzzleloader it'll be better conditions to move cameras. In order to get the cameras close to the food, I need to not have too many people around. I don't want any cameras stolen.
If some of these deer can make it through the muzzle season, we'll be in for another great year of big bucks next season. It's been so fun to watch these deer grow up and mature. It all started in 2006 and 2011 season will be great to see the youngest ones reach 4 and 5 years old.
I still need to shoot a doe with my bow. I will succeed.

No comments: