Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sit # 21 - Perfect Wind

With the new moon approaching and the rut just around the corner, I thought no better place to hunt the strong southwest wind than back along the creek. Boy was I wrong! I got in there quietly, the wind was absolutely perfect for deer to come from the SE or the NW. Nothing. I set up a camera right in the corner of the field. This spring there was a scrape under every tree - or so it seemed. I just know it's a matter of time before these bucks take their 'excursions' and I know they travel along the creek. So we should have some interesting pictures before the 20th of November. Other than having a very quite sit, I switched some cameras and put them on top of the hill by the cabin to get some more clear and accurate pictures of bucks working those scrapes.
My strategy for the rifle season is this: get in to the middle of human activity. I have a place I'd like to move one of the cameras tomorrow that had a ton of rut sign this spring also. It looked to be a good place for bucks to run does around well out of sight or sound. It's on the fringe of the swamp so it could be very interesting what comes through there once these does start to come into heat. Mostly it's important to find the doe clusters and hunt in between them, which I've got a great set up for that. Same place I killed Crazy 8 last year.
The bucks should be working the scrapes fairly religiously right now, but it's just a matter of finding the scrapes that are closest to buck activity. My hopes are still high for what may come through my sites this season.

No comments: