Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sit # 19 - Whitewater Part 2


Baby Andrea's sleep cycle was a little off in comparison to the proper rest required to hunt the morning, so we opted to sleep in again and do some walking/scouting in the morning - so that Donny wouldn't be nodding off in the tree. We walked a couple bluffs - one was called Melcher's Bluff and we named the one to the north the Farmer's bluff. The Farmer's bluff was cool because you had to cross private land to get to it, which he granted us in the form of a $2.00 fee. Piece of cake! So we walked around saw some more good sign, and picked out a couple spots to sit. I was headed out to stand at about 1:30pm. Very early, but it was probably necessary because as I was trying to get my stand up in this big cottonwood, I quickly learned that the diameter of the tree was greater than the length of the strap which was to hold the stand in place. Needless to say, I needed a different tree. Luckily this monster cottonwood was a cluster of three big trees and the strap fit around the smallest trunk. I cleared a few shooting lanes and in the middle of all my commotion, I heard a noise walking through the corn and I looked only to see another hunter walking right past me. Great. I watched him climb up his tree and settle in. That evening at about 4:30 I saw a turkey. Then around 4:40 I had a doe appear out of nowhere at about 35 yards. I could've shot her at about 30, but I didn't want to go through the whole ritual that evening of butchering. I saw a bunch more turkeys that night but no deer. Donny saw one doe as well. Just not a lot of daytime activity - mostly due to the pressure, possibly the shrinking moon, or they're just resting before it all breaks loose here any day. It was a great trip and I learned a lot about a different style of hunting. Next time we'll take a bit more aggressive approach to Whitewater.

No comments: