Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rifle Season - Day 1

I got up to the sound of pots and pans being banged around. Usually that would be an annoying sound, but this week, it means good breakfast, which leads to Deer Season. Mom, Dad, and I ate and got ready. I drove and parked at the landing and walked southeast. I got to my tree at 7:19 and was finally settled by 7:36am. Remember now, daylight savings hadn't kicked in so I was in there before light. The wind was perfect. It was just cracking light (7:50 or so) and I heard the all-too familiar sound of a twig snapping to my southeast. Perfect. As it got louder and louder, I could tell it was more than one deer. More perfect. I thought for sure it was going to be a buck behind a doe. I saw the first deer poke out and sure enough, it was a doe. Here comes the second deer. Doe. Pretty soon I realized there were three deer...then four deer. A doe, her yearling, and a doe and a fawn. They came right to the base of my tree. The four deer sniffed around - one even walked my back trail coming in for about five minutes. One of them got a little figidy and jumped once or twice, but she never blew. They slipped through my area and that gave me great confidence. I know that three of those deer will come into heat in the next week or so.Things will heat up. I sat until about 10am and got down. I walked a little ways up the trail they came in on and sprayed some 'Scrapemaster' juice on some twigs and on the ground. Hopefully if anything comes by throughout the night, they'll get a whiff and come back through. I'll sit there monday morning.
That afternoon Steph came up and we ate some food in the cabin and went to go sit in a homemade ground blind between the gravel pits. I walked through there just before I went in for lunch and there were rubs everywhere. The wind was perfect, we just didn't see any deer.
Mom and dad sat all day and neither of them saw a deer. Dad saw a fox. Zach Johnson let a little basket 8 go. I was proud of him.
We've got church this morning and then some engagment photos, but then it's back out there. we'll see where I end up. Southeast wind.

No comments: