Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Buck Down"

My 100th post is of a dead deer. How great is that! We got pounded with snow on the afternoon of the 18th and into the 19th (Thursday and Friday). I was planning on hunting the 19th and 20th with the bow northwest of the bus, but on the 19th I decided to just check cameras and head back home and go for a drive with dad. We were hunting the second week of rifle season and although the weather was brutal, we decided to go for a drive. Not thinking we would be getting out of the truck, I didn't dress very well. We had 25 mph winds and temps in the low teens. Windchill was around -5 degrees. We came across a good looking place and I decided that one of us needed to face the brutal cold. I bundled up as best I could and walked across this field. It was about 4:00 and I didn't know if I could even make it until dark. My fingers started to freeze and my face was getting whipped. After about 20 minutes, I saw a deer poke out and I quick examined it. It was a buck. It looked to be a decent buck too. I saw lighter colored main beam and at least 8 points coming off. I had to make a quick decision and I decide to end my season for bucks. I clicked off the safety and as the buck got within 175 yards he stopped. I held where his neck met his front shoulder. The wind was pushing so hard that I hit him low and forward. I threw in another shell and eventually put the buck down before he made it to the woods. I text dad in the truck - "buck down". I headed back to the truck and we were able to drive right to the deer. Super simple, season just about over. He looked to be a very healthy two year old, which was a little disappointing, but I'll take it. When he first came out, he looked like a bigger bodied deer so I figured he was three or so and would score about 115. He'll end up around 100 inches, which is something I'm trying to get away from shooting, but at least we have a full freezer. It was very exciting. Now, I just need to kill a doe with my bow. So far, there have been zero does registered for Streiffs Big Buck/Big Doe Archery contest. Top prize is a Cuddeback IR package.

No comments: