Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December's Off and Running (Sit # 26)


Well, on my sister's birthday I headed out to check a few cameras and try to kill a doe. I got a few decent pictures (one more of Bullwinkle) along the creek, but they sure are slowing down. I put a camera along John's farmyard on the 16th of November and since then I've missed 4 big bodied deer. All I'm getting are their butts. Of course this is a trigger speed issue and I completely blame my one and only Wildview camera. The more unbelievable part is that I put up a Cuddeback only 100-150 ft away and wasn't getting any of these deer at all. I trust my Cuddeback completely, but this does go to show how setting a trail camera in a 'good location' can only give you so many predictable deer pictures. Deer are not predictable 100% of the time. Camera scouting is a game of percentages, predictions, and possibilities. I can't stand when I walk up towards my camera in the snow only to watch the deer tracks walk directly behind my camera or cross the trail just 50 yards wide of the camera. Thinking back over the years, if I knew some of the deer that I just missed, I think I would be sick to my stomach.
Anyway, we're definitely post-rut, with a sprinkling of second rut about to begin in 4 days to a week from now. Food is now the top priority and since we've had a lot of snow early, the deer are getting a little desperate to find good browse. I moved a few cameras to try to capitalize on this desperation. I'm thinking December will bring out some good photos.
I sat from about 3:25pm to 5:05pm and I froze. It was zero when I got back to the cabin. I was a bit surprised that I didn't see anything. Almost every day there has been does and fawns walking right by that stand - just like last year. The times I choose to sit... nothing. Maybe I stink.

No comments: