Monday, November 28, 2011

Sit # 41 - Standing Beans

I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who reads this. I hope your holiday was filled with tryptophan pumpkin flavoring. Steph's brother Donny and his wife Tara were up in Warroad for Thanksgiving with the little munchkin - Andrea. It was so much fun to see her and play with her. Kids grow up so fast.
Anyway, Donny and I had a chance to get out Friday afternoon, the 25th on the edge of the standing bean field. The wind was ENE, which was the best possible wind for that spot. I hadn't hunted it at all and as far as I knew, nobody else really had either. I put two cameras up in that area a week before and I did notice a ladder stand where there wasn't one the year before, but it looked to be accessed from the north, which meant a certain landowning neighbor. That's fine. On our way out there on Friday, we did cross some fresh tracks either from that morning or the night before. Looked like someone came from the road on foot and walked up and cut in to the east into the swamp. As we got near our parking spot we met some loggers out on the road and the boot tracks could have easily been one of them. Regardless, we pressed on and got situated on the ground tucked into a big gnarly willow tree with a couple shooting lanes cut from the inside out. it actually is a pretty good set up. My hopes were really high, but as it got close to 4:45pm, my doubts and confusion set in. We hadn't seen a deer and I was baffled. Finally as I was talking to Donny, I leaned out to my right and right behind the willow, there stood a lone fawn. It looked to be a buck fawn, so I opted not to shoot. That was it for the evening. At least we saw something.
I have been asked by several people now, or at least shared in some conversation regarding the odd fall we've been experiencing. People have been confused and complaining about the low number of deer and especially buck sightings this year. Here's a few things to consider. 
1.) This was the driest summer/fall on record for over 25 years. This could do a few things. Deer need water, they may travel to look for it. However, where we hunt, the farthest they would have to travel would be 4 miles or so to a river. So the deer are not gone completely. And I found a few water sources anyway, so the drought didn't send too many looking for water (my opinion). However, all of the area that is usually saturated with water and inhabitable was suddenly dry and safe for a deer either expanding their range or simply looking for a safe place away from people. This is more in line with what I think has happened. 
2.) We had the hardest winter since '96-'97. Deer were stressed and shed early because of the amount of snow and the cold temperatures in mid December and early January. We have lots of proof of that. Also, we had a cold wet spring that made green food a scarcity in an absolutely crucial time for antler development. A lot of fields weren't seeded until the very end of May and we didnt' start seeing green-up until the middle of May in the woods. That means that deer struggled for food from December 1 until May 15. That's 5.5 months with marginal food. I believe the deer survived, as we found no winter/wolf kills, but their antler growth showed that they suffered in their overall health. Splitbrow shrank from 4 to 5! That shouldn't happen. He wasn't the only one either. 
3.) Predator numbers are on the rise. Last rifle season, everyone I talked to mentioned all the mice they were seeing and hearing while on stand. What I noticed in congruency with the mice was the number of hawks near the road edges - more than I've ever seen in my life! Mice are food for predators, which would create a good winter for the predators around last year. This year, there have been numerous fisher, pine martin, weasel and mink sightings while on stand. I've also seen a few coyotes out in the open lately - not normal up where we hunt. Sure they are out there, but daylight sightings only mean there are more than normal. Since we've had a few skifts of snow, I've picked up on some timberwolf tracks as well. To top these off, we have a couple local dogs that like to take jogs around the section looking for deer. The predator numbers are up. I'm anticipating my cameras proving that in the month to come. There's an incredible article that just came out in the newest issue of Deer & Deer Hunting where a big buck gets taken down by coyotes - right in front of a trail camera!
4.) The last conclusion has no basis yet. We'll learn more as shed season comes and the snow leaves the ground in March and April. I'm wondering if the drought may have caused overheating/exhaustion and may have led to some summer/fall deaths. I almost don't dare discuss this disease called EHD or 'Blue Tongue'. I hope that this fall's deer reports are not caused by anything like that.
All of this is interesting, but my personal observation out in the woods is that the deer are still there. It's just a timing and pressure issue. My cameras are picking up mature buck activity, even during daylight. In fact, the daylight activity is precisely when it should be - November 11-20. No mystery there. A person just needs to be in the right place at the right time. I still can't explain what happened to a few certain bucks, but that's hunting. They either moved, died, or figured out a way to avoid cameras and me.
Mom and Dad picked up a few more pictures of Pencil and another young healthy 2 year old 8 point.

No comments: