Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sit # 21 & 22 - Pre-Rifle Wrap Up

Well, after an eventful learning experience down in Whitewater, Steph and I tried to sit the same spot we have for the last two years - the nook just north of the firing line in the Refuge. We saw zero deer on that Tuesday evening. I left the stands up and then I sat there alone on Thursday morning. I saw zero deer. I pulled the stands down and checked a few cameras and came up with some good information for the opening of rifle season. I got pictures of both Contender and Bullwinkle NW of the bus in a spot that I've had good pictures in the past, but never successful hunting. I think that is going to change this year. Here's what Bullwinkle looks like this year:
And here's Contender:
The sad part is that since the 1st of November, Contender busted his left brow tine off making him a 5x5 again.
That drops his score down to a low 130's deer. Keep in mind this deer is a three year old. I'm for sure not going to shoot him this year. I think right now my goal is to get on one of four bucks: Scabby 9, Bullwinkle, Splitbrow, or Mr. 140 (who we still don't have any pictures of yet after this early June.
I got a picture of Pencil:
and Splitbrow:
NE of Pete's along with a nice two year old. Mom found his shed last year and he's either a really small bodied three year old, or he was an awesome yearling last year. Probably going to go ahead and call him NoBrow.
I also got pictures of Contender on the east side of John's farmyard at a scrape along with a buck that I thought got shot last year - a buck I'm going to name Blades. He didn't grow much  from last year to this, but he is a three year old this year. Dad picked up his sheds from when he was a yearling.
Lastly, there's a decent 8 point hanging around the top of the hill. He looks to be a three year old, but I'm hoping he's only two. He's got a nice body, so I'm thinking three.
Also at the scrape on the east side of John's farmyard, I got a buck I'm calling Blades. Dad picked up his yearling set and I thought he was killed last year as a two year old. He didn't grow too much from two to three, but he'll make some hunter proud.
The strategy is fairly simple this gun season: kill a doe asap and then play the wind and try to sit long hours near the 10th, 11th, & 12th. Those are the days that we'll have a good crack at something. This entire season is going to depend on the weather. Please, please, please let the temperatures stay cool. 2011 Rifle Season, here we come.

No comments: