Monday, November 14, 2011

Rifle Season - Day 8 (Sit #31)

Saturday morning was only my second full day of hunting and I was determined to sit all day long. I had an E and  slowly moving to a SE wind and so I headed southeast of the landing. This spot is good for one main reason - it's far from people. I sat from before first light until right at dark - when Steph took a shot at a deer. I saw a spike at about 9:45am and a 5 point yearling at about 11:30am. After that it was really quiet. I thought for sure the bucks would still be on the move after mom and dad's success the afternoon before, but I get that tells you something: The mature bucks only need 24 hours or so to find what they're looking for - the first doe in heat in each given area. The 12th was surprisingly quiet for everyone. My guess is that the 14th or 15th will be good days in the woods. Unfortunately, I spent the entire 14th chopping up the four deer that mom and dad shot with the rifle, so I'm banking on the last two waves  of activity where these bucks will be looking for the last does in heat. November 15th and the 18-21st. I'll try to post more photos and videos in these blogs soon, I just haven't had much time to digest what has taken place, let alone be detailed enough. I'll have to write one massive year-end summary. I've got my cameras in the deep woods on heavy travel routes hoping to pick up on where these bucks are traveling. I think now that the hunters have left the woods, I can get back in closer to food sources. These deer are going to continue to check scrapes in between does and cruise until they're just exhausted (in about one more week).

No comments: