Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sit # 33 - The Tragic News

Monday was spent butchering the four deer that mom and dad shot this year. I can't really complain, I got about a whole deer as payment for my time. So we have meat - we won't starve. The weatherman, who I would like to meet in a dark alley, said the wind was going to be WSW at 6-7 mph on Tuesday morning. It started off at zero mph. My breath was going straight up, which isn't all bad. Then around 7:30 it starting hitting the wrong side of my face and pushing my breath down towards the direction the deer should be coming from. BACKWARDS! Then at about 8:00, it straightened out and was perfect until about 8:30. Super frustrating. It still was a 2-3 mph at best which as a tendency to swirl. I climbed down and checked four cameras on my way back into town. No deer seen while sitting.
The more important update than sitting and seeing nothing was that while I was getting set up in the tree, I got an email from a cousin asking me if I knew this certain buck. He had said in church that a neighbor up by where we hunt had shot a nice 10 point buck and I said to try get me a picture. Well two mornings later, I open the email attachment only to have my heart drop like it did last September when Inside Crab Claw got shot. The picture I received was definitely the corpse of The Contender.
There he lay, another genetic anomaly stopped short. I'll write more about Contender in a Mourning Post coming up soon. So now we've had Splitbrow, Scabby 9, and Contender shot off the list, with the possibility of more yet to come. I'm not sad that it wasn't me in any type of selfish way - in fact, I'm really happy the first two got shot. It's just too bad that Contender couldn't've had just one more year. I know he would've been a 160 deer - maybe more.
So without getting too down on the whole situation, I've got a few bucks left on the hitlist, but I think I need to rearrange some cameras to try to pick up on the others that I know are out there.

No comments: