Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sit # 10 - Still No Bear

I understand that I am likely missing opportunities with whitetails while trying to get this bear, but I have to trust that the risk is worth the reward. Joe and I sat again this morning with no sign of any bear. I checked the camera and we had 71 pictures in 24 hours. Same two bucks. Twigs came in at about 6:45pm in the pouring rain and stayed for about a half hour. I'm optimistic that we can get an evening sighting of one of those two bucks if the wind cooperates here in a couple weeks - before they totally disappear during the pre-rut.
After Joe and I sat, we pulled my camera that was set up just off the sunflowers and I have to say that in a month and a half and only about 75 pictures total, that was a total waste of time. I think the bucks are going to start using trails to cruise looking for does in about one week. Maybe even less. I put that camera over a big scrape over by the dump. I'm super anxious to see what The Big 8 looks like this year if he survived. He might've been a 3 year old last year and I think he would've blown up into something huge this year.
I'm going to pull my camera from my permanent stand and bring it up northwest of the bus and hopefully catch something in it's annual habit. I'd like to move the camera after a morning just in case there are deer that are using that area and I don't disturb them too much on my first time in. I'll just need a SW wind next week.
Lastly, it's hard to believe where the time has gone! We are just days away from the peak of scraping and literally three weeks from the first does coming into estrous. Crazy. We've been so busy with photography this summer and fall it seems like our time is being swallowed up. I really hope Steph can have a chance at a deer in the next couple weeks.

No comments: