Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Errands and Packing

So today Dad and I went up to the cabin to take care of some things that needed to be done before I take off down to Whitewater. I needed to move a few cameras, take down a couple cameras, take down two stands, help dad set up a stand, take down a ground blind and drop some things off in the garage and bring some things back to town. There are so many things that go into being FULLY prepared for a week of hunting. Since almost all of my hunting is done locally, I can just run this and that over to the next place and it really doesn't become labor-intensive.
I'm bringing two stands down in order to have options in different winds or morning/evening priority. I already have one down there at Donny's, but that will serve as a rover stand - incase a hunt needs to happen on the fly. I'll be washing all my hunting clothes, packing extra socks etc, and will need lots snacks in order to have an all day sit if necessary.
I checked a few cameras in today's process and was mostly disappointed. Twigs and HighRise were both in as usual, but the camera by the dump didn't see any action. The camera northeast of Pete's had two bucks on it and I noticed that most of the deer are using a far trail, so I moved my camera across the logging road. That should help get me some better quality photos.
I pulled my Bushnell camera down from northwest of Pete's and on my walk back to the road I noticed a willow that had been thoroughly thrashed. This was the biggest thrashing that I've ever seen. Some buck is getting his work outs in before the big fight.
The videos were basically disappointing. A few does and fawns, same two year old 8 point and a bunch of windy daytime pictures. I'm moving that new camera over a scrape on top of the hill and I'm going to try out my new bear safe and cable lock. Should be a struggle for someone to steal it. So that means I'm taking my Wildview down and bringing that along with my broken-cover Cuddeback. I'll just get them set up down in the brushy bottoms on the best bottleneck trails I can find or maybe over an open scrape near a bottleneck.
I'm guessing that most buck activity is still in the dark of night, but that's about to change. Hopefully I'm not too early in the season and I can use the right combination of locating doe groups and pinch points from buck bed to doe bed and catch something in the last hour of light down in the bottoms. It's going to be a decent time to find scrapes that are away from food sources - closer to bedding areas. The bucks know that the does aren't quite ready yet, but they will be on the move to find them. That's the biggest reason I'm hoping for cooler temperatures. If it's too warm, the bucks just will not move. The forecast keeps changing, but the wind directions haven't changed in the forecast. They're saying WNW to WSW on Friday, SSW to WSW on Saturday, WNW to SW on Sunday, straight S on Monday, and the wind jumps up to a North wind on Tuesday. The temps could be lower. The lows are around freezing and the highs are in the low 50s. That's too warm in my mind. Hopefully a cold front swings in. Otherwise, there won't be a big urge to sit through the middle of the day - could be a good time for scouting.
Well I've got jerky curing in the fridge and my new tires are being put on my truck. Lots of things getting done. I've got everything lined up for work and now it's just to relax, spend time with my beautiful wife (who's birthday is TODAY! Happy Birthday, Steph! Love you.), and catch up on a few pictures that need editing.
Now it's off to birthday lunch with Steph - chili special at Legends.

No comments: