Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sit # 3 of the Season

So tonight I drove the Refuge to take down a stand that I had left up all year (since November). I made my way through the wet woods and finally arrived at the stand. As I looked up I noticed there was no seat pad on the fold down seat. I don't remember taking it with me, but then again, I guess I could've. Either way, I took the stand down and set it up by the dike. I had the right wind to hunt a buck we named Cage because of his 'rib cage' effect. Nice long tines, quite symmetrical. I spooked a doe and a yearling off the bean field on my way in. The beans got taken off on Monday, but they didn't cultivate the field, so they'll still use it for a while.
I got set up and endured 2.5 hours of pouring rain. My hopes were high, at least to see a deer. Nothing. I climbed down at about 7:45 and got back to the truck. As I headed down the road about 4 deer ran across the road from the bean field to the east. So who knows how many deer were out in the field, they just didn't come by me. I think I might put in some more effort in the Refuge before the rut comes. I really only have a few wind directions that work around the hill. I will have my cameras at the hill, and probably scout with my eyes near the refuge. Sounds like a decent plan. We'll see how that goes. We're gone for the weekend so it'll be a few days before I get to sit again.

No comments: