Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Fast-Growing Legend Comes To An End - Inside Crabclaw Down!

Well, it seems that the 2010 season begin with a bittersweet heartache. On the second evening of archery season, at about 7:20 pm, Inside Crabclaw met his maker. Another whitetail fanatic put in his time scouting and pinpointing this buck and was lucky enough to encounter and kill this magnificent buck. The place where he shot ICC was only 1/2 mile west of where we sat opening day. So close, but not close enough. The lucky hunter's dad owns about 200 acres of prime whitetail habitat adjacent to where we had permission. I was able to go over to his house and handle the awesome rack and take some measurements. We even exchanged some trail camera photos.
I came up with 160 2/8" Green Gross Non-Typical. I came up with 144" Green Net Typical, depending on the determination of which points were considered typical. I leaned in the buck's favor. This buck had 12 typical points (a perfect 6x6) and one abnormal - a split G2 on his right side. The bucks G2s were 10 1/8 and 11 2/8". His G3s were over 7" and his 4s were both 6" even. His G5s were like 3 and 4. All his circumferences were over 4", with his H3s being 5+"! His mainbeams were 22 and 23". This buck had it all... Except age. The neighbor and I ageed that this deer was for sure no older than 4 years old. He feels like he was three this year partly because of his small body, and partly because of his small face and head. The buck only measured 7" from eye to nose, which would suggest a young deer, or a simply a small head. Whatever the case, he had probably the most potential that I've ever seen up around Minnesota Hill. I hope he bred last year. So scratch Inside Crabclaw off the 2010 hitlist. I'm sure something will take it's place in the next few weeks. I'm going to move some cameras in about a week. There's still two bucks I'd really like to kill in the next few weeks. NE wind today and tonight. So I'll be heading to the dike in the rain. Going to hopefully get a chance at a buck I call Cage.

No comments: