Thursday, October 10, 2013

Octoberfest - ND & MN

I've been pretty poor at keeping this log going lately. Life's been a little hectic. So to catch up, I'll need to back up. There hasn't been many things that have been earth shattering lately. I'm beginning the camera migration from the remote locations to the big woods to help mom and dad mentally prepare themselves for rifle season. It's only a month away! So here's where I've been sitting lately:
September 30th - Morning and Evening (Sit # 7 & 8): I spent the afternoon of Sunday with Steph lounging and relaxing and headed to Grand Forks to hunt the next day in the morning. I tried pretty hard to figure out spots to hunt he SSW - SW winds of Monday the 30th. I decided to get down into the  river bottom in the morning and hopefully catch deer coming back to bed, which I did - just a yearling buck. I left the stand up because I liked the spot and the wind was basically supposed to be the same the next day. That evening I set up the Muddy ladder stand on the edge of a standing soybean field, which they started cutting while I was sitting. I managed to see around 6 or 7 deer including a couple bucks, but they were all about 200-300 yards away. In between monday's sits, I set up my two cameras knowing I'd pull them down the next day. I managed to get lucky and catch quite a few of the deer I have been seeing earlier this summer. I found a scrape along the edge of the bean field and picked up a nice two year old buck working the scrape right at last light.
My Cuddeback Seen got set up in river bottom on one of the main trails that seemed to funnel deer a bit.
October 1st - Morning (Sit # 9): I crawled back up into the same Muddy Bloodsport down in the river bottom with really high hopes of seeing something. I did not see a single deer. I grabbed my camera, tore my stand down and hiked back up the hill. I didn't even bother reviewing the images/videos that the camera captured, and to be honest, I didn't think there was any. To my surprise, when I got home, I saw that there was multiple bucks that walked that very trail the night before, right up until 6:09am! I was in the tree by about 6:20am! I probably bumped the bucks a little further. But, I did learn that I really liked that spot in case I go back out there.

The downfalls of the trip: One of the farm's employees was getting very territorial and without saying it, tried to kick me out of the area. Also, one of the two cameras I left out there got picked off! STOLEN! So that sucked. Not that I was expecting a bunch of awesome pictures, but it sure hurts the pocketbook!
October 4th - Evening (Sit # 10): Zach and I tried to sneak into the area where the 6x5 has been showing up. We got in fairly quiet, and tucked into our homemade ground blind. Zero deer.
October 5th - Evening (Sit # 11): I had a NE wind, so I wanted to try something new - I headed out to the stand I hung for the pre-rut North of the East/West road. After I got set up, the wind felt very EAST and I now know I need a straight N wind when sitting out there. I got drizzled on and saw two deer. I hung the SEEN camera out there on the same tree that I got pictures of Pencil & Splitbrow in 2011. Hopefully I get to see Pencil again out there.
October 6th - Evening (Sit # 12): The wind switched over to a NW/WNW and although I didn't really plan to hunt, the corn field was already a set up option for me, so I tested it out. I had a clear sky, high pressure system with a perfect wind, but the only thing I saw was a doe and a fawn until I was already packing up. It was at that point that two younger bucks decided to make their way into the corn from the NW corner of the field. The corn still does not seem to be a destination food source. Until we have a couple killing frosts, I don't think it will be. There's still green in the woods!
October 8th - Morning (Sit # 13): I finally got a SE wind and figured I better try to hunt Twigs since he was about the only good buck giving me daytime photos. Well, he still hasn't been in there since the 29th of September, but the huge bear decided to make an appearance. He is a monster!!!
I have about a week to kill him if I want to buy a tag. If he comes back in, I'll consider it. He's probably there right now. I'll have about a week off of hunting and then it'll be swinging right into the early stages of the pre-rut.

No comments: