Saturday, October 19, 2013

NW Winds For Two Weeks!!

Last post was about all the fiascos in ND and catching up on what really hadn't been happening back home. Well, finally, things are picking up here. The weatherman is calling for some type of west wind for the next two weeks. At its furthest, it comes from the SW, and up to a straight N with most days being a straight WNW - NW wind. This is perfect for a stand I just set up on the east side of where the 6x5 has been hiding out. The question is - Will he move east into the oak island to work scrapes/check does soon?
I was able to get some sweet flash pictures of 6x5 before the batteries died in the Cuddeback. He cam in on the 9th, 10th, & 11th. He came in on the 9th with a doe, which would make sense if she was super healthy. She could've been in heat. Regardless, he looks good - a nice blonde rack as I suspected.
After switching the batteries out on the 14th, I was surprised to see another old friend spend some time in the same area - Twigs! He made a little trek over to there. Where he was in between, I can only guess. He's looking as good as ever. No broken points yet, which should be interesting if these two mature studs rub shoulders in the next few days. They both have big bodies, but there's no way Twigs' rack will hold up to the 6x5's mass. Hopefully I can kill one of them to keep them from fighting.
In addition to these beauties, I picked up a few pictures of Pencil that show he's fattening up nicely, too.  So that's three different 6 year olds that were moving in the same week. I think things are about to get interesting!
Recently, the bowhunting has been pretty slow. Since the 8th of October, I've sat 3 times:
Thursday, October 10th Afternoon (Sit #14): I sat in hopes of seeing Twigs and saw nothing but a lone grouse and a young timberwolf, which was kind of interesting.
Monday, October 14th Morning (Sit #15): I sat the same spot believing that it was a matter of time for Twigs to come back through the ridge between the swamps. He did not show, but the grouse with 9 lives came back for round 2. I missed again. Depressing.
Thursady, October 17th Afternoon (Sit #16): I sat east of where 6x5 has been spending a lot of time. The day before I was able to hang a stand in the rain. The wind wasn't great, but it allowed me to slip in and out quietly and hopefully my scent was washed away for the most part. I sat that Thursday more or less as an observation sit. There were two does that came out, one downwind and the other about 200 yards away. The farther doe was a horse of a doe. I'm sure it was the doe that made the scrape and was in the camera with 6x5, she was huge - at least 140. When her head was down, I thought it was going to be the 6x5! I was able to move a bunch of cameras into the area that the 6x5 has been visiting in hopes of putting together some more pins in the map and know how much to press my luck with new stands, etc. I need to move in on him while I have a consistent wind. However, I know that as we approach the end of the month, he will get restless and begin looking for does. I need to capitalize on his hormones. Sounds like a plan.

No comments: