Saturday, August 17, 2013

Velvitis

I'm still playing catch up with this blog since the triple fracture and dislocation of my ankle. But I am making progress in both areas. One key note that I don't think I mentioned was that I got drawn to hunt the UND property along the Forest River in North Dakota. That was cool, but I later learned that I would have to pay $215 for a non-resident ANTLERLESS tag! Then if I filled it, I would be eligible for a second either-sex tag for an additional $215! Luckily, in the process, I wrote a letter to the neighboring landowner and asked about hanging trail cameras, and even hunting his property, which they said, "Sure." to. So now I bought an either-sex over the county tag for $215 and I'm getting excited to hunt over there. Now the only thing slowing me down is my leg. I need it to heal well, so I probably won't be hunting there during the opening weekend. I need to get a camera over a food source quickly so I can take inventory of the deer that are in the area - before the beans start to yellow. So that's exciting.
It's been 6 weeks since I broke my leg and although it left me hardly moving initially, I've been able to get into the woods a few times over that last two weeks. Enough to move and check cameras a couple times. I've contracted the help of my friend Zach to do most of my walking and checking, but it's just so refreshing to be out in the woods. I knew I would miss it, but I am beginning to realize how much I enjoy flying down the gravel and having the music loud and feeling the cool breeze blow through my truck. I am definitely not wired to work indoors.
In these camera moves and pulls, we've been able to learn quite a bit over the last few weeks:
To my amazement, the 6x5, after disappearing like last year, strolled in front of the camera one time, just enough for three pictures - EXACTLY LIKE LAST YEAR!!!
This deer is going to get under my skin. His G2s are a little shorter this year. He's got more mass, his brows are very nice and I think he'll be a 6x6.
About an hour or two after 6x5 went through, a lone buck walked through that was another really nice buck. He has the same frame as what Twigs had (not saying it was him), but there's also a freak chance that it was that stud 8 point yearling from last year. Either way, I'd like some more pictures of these deer.
Then after having battery issues in John's Island, I was able to get pictures of Blacknose.
He's not as impressive as I hoped he'd be this year. His right G2 split, he's got a sticker off his left brow, and his tine length is about the same. He did gain some mass and his brows are a bit longer. Their growth is so far behind last years, that these deer are going to need to grow right up until the very end of August. He should gross over 150" but now he's got about 5" of deductions so he'll net around 145".
Then a buck showed up that blew my mind! A scraggly wide, short-tined 8 point that I was certain Zach killed last year! NOPE.
Turns out Zach shot his twin brother. So now we still have a lame 4 year old 8 that needs to be killed.
Just a few days ago, I got pictures of another sad 4 year old. The buck that dad passed up, that I found the right shed to this January is a weak and homely deer. Another that needs to be shot.
Up at the gravel pit I got pics of the 4 year old I'm going to call Droopy. He's got a droptine or a turndown beam on his right side, like he did when he was 2. This is an interesting deer, that I don't really know where he goes during the fall.
I'm still hoping that the other four year old comes in for a few pics before I pull that camera.
The Tweeten woods has been pretty good at producing pictures, but all the deer are 2 and 3 years old.
Still no pictures of Pencil.
I set up a camera near the point by John's pond and I got permission on the east side of the river to try to find HighRise. Both of these spots should reveal something interesting. Otherwise, I'm hoping for some good news from the doctor at Monday's appointment. I'm hoping to be able to put weight on my foot soon so I can start getting used to that. I need to do my exercises.

No comments: