Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Big Day!

This last Thursday, the 15th of August, Zach and I went out for a quick trip around the countryside and we were able to check a few cameras. It was a big day because after checking the 6x5 area, there was over 1,000 images on there including a bunch of pictures of the 6x5!
He kind of surprised me in a good and bad way. He won't have any G5s, he lost a bit of tine length, but he definitely put on some more mass and stretched out those brows to just about 6", maybe more. He came in every day for three days, which is great, but the time and date got all messed up on the camera, so it's hard to know exactly what he was doing. I switched cameras in hopes of getting some better pictures, hopefully he comes back through.
After that, we checked a few more cameras and came up with another winner - Pencil showed up!
At first glance I told Zach that I thought it was just a random three year old, because he had a slightly roman nose. Well, at second glance, it was Pencil and he just hadn't finished his growth yet. The other side to this exciting story is that when we pulled up to my camera, we noticed another trail camera pointed in the same direction! What?!? We put my tshirt over it and pulled mine down. That was strange, but I get it. They saw a spot that was possibly bringing in deer, and they wanted to mooch a little. We pulled the Trophy Rock out of there and hopefully the deer will stay away too. The crappy part was as we checked the card, we saw Pencil, and then realized that the other guy also got some free information about a 6 year old deer! That makes me mad. Oh well. We got the pics we needed. He's going to have a cool set of brows as well a split and a sticker on his base. Definitely grossing P&Y, but I don't think he'll net enough to make it.
We checked the other cameras and got some more pics of young bucks at the Tweeten woods:
A few more of Blacknose at John's Island:
and the new set up was just does and fawns. I took down a couple cameras in order to bring some to ND in hopes of seeing something worth my time out there. Hopes are high! The doctor said I can start putting half-weight and then full weight next week (with crutches in case). I need to do my exercises and keep up with my weigh-bearing.

No comments: