Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Verge

I was able to get out to the woods last thursday (the 9th) to check a few cameras and make a new mineral site. I have been looking forward to getting this site established for quite some time now. It sits between John's Island and Tweeten's Island. They are all about 3/4 of a mile from each other. And this one is also 3/4 of a mile from the road. This year, there will be soybeans in some amazing locations.
There is a separation between the three deer populations and it is going to congregate them in these three areas, which will be absolutely phenomenal for getting pictures of the big boys. I have a feeling that this year's hitlist is going to have the most 4 year old and older bucks of any hitlist we've put together so far. I am anticipating a great fall. I've also decided that I can't hunt the fringe during the rut. Once the 22nd of October rolls around, I know exactly where I'll be set up.
Anyway, on my trip out to the woods, I was able to check a few cameras that showed some pictures of a few familiar bucks. Dad's new camera (set up on the oak ridge) got a picture of Mr. 140 and Pencil (I'm shortening his name until I know how many points he'll have). While checking that camera, I noticed a small birds nest and as I walked by it (1 foot away) I noticed the bird was on it and it didn't fly. So after I adjusted the angle of Dad's camera I got my camera ready and got a couple pictures of the bird and the eggs in the nest after it flew. It was pretty cool. Each trip up to The Hill I have been seeing all kinds of wildlife.
On my drive home I had a run-in with a big ol' snapper.
I also am getting plenty of pictures up by the gravel pit. I'm excited to see what that site does once the beans begin to ripen. I've got to tell myself to leave it up as long as possible. I pulled it by the end of June last year, but now we have evidence of a bigger buck in that area.
I received an email from Midwest Whitetail with an attachment full of discounted trail cameras. The only two brands were Reconyx and Bushnell. I'm not familiar with either, but it might be an opportunity to save some money on them. We'll see. Right now I'm running five Cuddeback Captures. Mom and Dad have two other Captures. I know I'm going to need to use three out in the south end, which only leaves me two for the north end. I can't wait until those beans are ready. One month.

No comments: