Monday, May 17, 2010

Never Say Die, I Guess


So a friend and I went down the border to a spot way out in the swamp to check the Trophy Rock and the Cuddeback over it. Well, after a long walk, we finally arrived at the stump and of course the camera was spun 90 degrees on the tree. These bears are getting on my nerves. There were 70 or so pictures, which I thought was pretty low for a whole month. But having the camera 90 degrees on the tree really limits the amount of pictures you're going to get. The stump was tore up a little from the bears. The Trophy Rock was gone. Luckily we brought some molasses and some Deer Cocaine. Not far from the stump I glanced back down the trail and a little curve caught my eye. Sure enough it was an old antler. A decent little two year old. That makes 13.
The pictures have been considerably slower than last year at this time, but I know that'll change soon with the green up coming as it is now after the last little bit of rain. The farmers are trying to get out and seed their soybeans and it'll be very interesting to see what develops as far as crop locations and strategies for 2010. I've got one spot that I'm pretty positive will be put into beans and there's an awesome location to put a camera come July. I may be spending my early season over there. We'll the cameras and my spotting scope will be dictating where we spend our time in the early archery season. There should be no shortage of healthy bucks around the county with the easy winters we've been having. I'm hoping for a reasonably dry summer so there's a chance to turn over the shack field this fall. I'd like to mark trees after rifle season or muzzleloader season that need to be cleared on the north end of the shack field. I have managed to get a picture of a little timber wolf, but that's never really a good thing.

No comments: