Thursday, May 20, 2010

12 Grouse 'a' Laying


About two weeks ago I was out and I was startled by a grouse that had been near me for like five minutes without moving. Finally, because I was on the phone, I spoke up loud enough and out from a little branch less than 15 feet from me was this grouse! The first thing I thought was NEST. So I walked over to it and sure enough, there were eggs in it. I took a picture with my phone, but I never uploaded it. So yesterday I headed back out there to get a picture of the nest with the grouse on it. I got that and then when she left the nest she made a sound I'd never heard a grouse make so I put the camera on HD video and tried to get the most steady footage I could. I tried to get a better count of the eggs and although it's hard to see in the video, there are 12 eggs in there. That's pretty good. I hope they make it. There was a porcupine only 20 feet from the next. Apparently they don't care much for eggs. I know skunk, fox, and fisher do. Other than that, I took a little drive around the countryside to see what crops would be where and to try and get some good pictures of nature. I got some pictures of a woodtick about to pounce, I got some of the army worms working there way out, and some of every different kind of duck. I also saw a big boar bear but couldn't get a picture. You might have to turn your volume up to hear the grouse:


No comments: