Friday, September 27, 2013

September Madness! - Sit # 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6

Where is the time being sucked away to? I know. Photos. Double-edged sword. We've been super busy and stressed this last two months and although I've managed to slip out into the woods a few times, I haven't found enough time to write in this blog. So here's my last 5 sits in Minnesota:
Opening Morning (September 14th) - I sat on the ground because of my leg. I headed to the refuge and sat near the west edge of the Carlson Slough. I saw zero deer. Beautiful morning, though.
Sunday Evening (September 15th) - It was my birthday and I couldn't decide whether or not I should hunt, but last minute I did and so I set out to hang a stand in the nook, but when I arrived I noticed a vehicle parked there. I found out whose it was so that meant I had to sit somewhere else on the fly. I ended up under the big spruce tree in the SW corner of the Saltou Field. When I snuck to the handicapped stand, there was a doe and fawn right in front of me. Once they slid into the corn, I decided I better sit behind some cover on the ground and so I found the big spruce. Right at last light I heard a twig snap and footsteps coming my way and it sounded like a big deer. Turned out to be 4 deer! A doe with her triplet fawns ended my evening as we got into a staredown at about 10 yards. I eventually blew at her just so I could get up and leave.
Thursday Afternoon (September 19th) - I sat in the NW corner of the Saltou Field to see if I had been missing anything. I had a spike and another nice yearling buck come out at about 150 yards and work their way towards me. At last light another doe and a fawn came into the field, but never really came close.
Friday Morning (September 20th) - Zach was home and there was a cold front coming through so we figured we'd try the west end of the same field. We didn't really have many options for that wind, which was a NW? I can't remember. We saw zero deer.
Thursday Morning (September 26th) - I had a SE wind and I decided I would see if the 6x5 wanted to show his face. Nope. I did have a yearling buck approach my stand from directly downwind and sniff all around looking for acorns. He gave me plenty of shot opportunities, too bad he wasn't 5 years older!
Friday Evening (September 27th) - Zach was home again and we thought we'd tough it out and sit in the mist and rain. We sat in the nook and unbelievably, saw zero deer! We've got some warm weather right now, but that's supposed to change in two weeks. We haven't had hardly any frost yet. So the plants are still edible for the most part in the woods. Not to say that deer aren't coming out into the larger food sources, but rather that there's no urgency to feed or poke their heads out until well after dark because they can browse in the woods still.
We're catching up on photos and as long as the weather is warm like this, I'll have to tell myself that the morning hunts are maybe my best option. We'll see. Another 2 weeks will change a lot of deer behavior.

No comments: