Monday, April 21, 2008

Boston University

So thursday after a friend got off work, he picked me up and we headed out to some state land near his house. We started off in a lower part that was kinda wet. There were lots of good trails, and some rubs on some smaller tamaracs, but no antlers. We walked south and west until we came out to a field corner, where we kicked up a couple deer. There was an old bale just a few yards over on private land, so it was obvious that there had been deer back there through the winter. we circled up to the east and headed towards a pine ridge. Turning back south we walked through some more good sign, but no antlers. I had a hunch that somebody had already been through the area on foot this winter. Regardless, it was time to turn around and take the ridge back towards the gravel road. I tried to stay close to a winding gravel road that came back into the ridge (well close enough to see where it was). I paralleled the road and came across a couple of carcasses, but given how close they were to the road, I'm sure they were just dumped there. Both were does. I was looking down and in front of me and I noticed that the deer trail I was on was going to intersect with another. I love trail intersections. Maybe that sounds weird, but it makes sense that if you're looking for antlers, you need to be where deer spend the most time. If im able to find criss-crosses in travel, I have better odds of seeing something. It's just that simple. Anyway, I was about to take the intersecting trail to the left, but I decided I should look back on it first. So I glanced to my right down this new trail and saw a couple pieces of old garbage (rusted tin can, aluminum foil, glass, etc.), when I noticed something all too familiar. It looked a tiny bit like a small point. It actually looked like a rib bone, but I figured I better go take a closer look. Sure enough, a couple steps further and I yelled for my friend to come over to me.
Laying perfectly on a nice green piece of moss, it was a small 5 point antler (41 6/8"). The way it was sitting, it couldve been easily burried by the snow, or even just missed by a passerby. Regardless the case, it was mine now. We took a rest back at my friend's house and looked at an atlas and headed up north of HWY 11 and took the wheeler around some state land. We walked quite a few miles, but found nothing significant. A good day though; Good company, wind in the face, and the sun shining. Can't ask for more.

No comments: