Wednesday, October 23, 2019

On Wisconsin!

Well, I'm back on here! Keeping up with a blog is not easy and I probably have less time than Ive ever had. But I love to look back and see how each season unfolded, look for patterns of dates and activity, and hopefully put those pieces together to aid in a successful hunt this year.
This summer, I picked up on a buck that had me drooling. He came through only one time on July 14th and I'm 80% sure it's a buck I got a few pictures of last season. In the 2018 season, I acquired permission somewhat late in the game, so I didn't really have a good idea of what this property could do, as it's only 10 acres. I'm learning now that it acts as a definite transition area for cruising bucks during the rut. So I hung single camera and ran it all summer and in walks this dude - Hercules.






The day I checked that camera was the 16th of July and I actually saw him about 3/8 of a mile away in a bean field. After I learned that I had pictures of him too, I was pumped! However, week after week of checking the camera came up with ZERO additional pics. That is until today:



 I knew that if nobody shot him early season, he would make a trip back through the area in this third and fourth weeks of October - just before the rut kicked off. I knew that this transition area would bring bucks through it, but it's not a place that they want to stay, so I'm hoping to remain patient until the conditions are perfect and the does are just about ready. I think he'll be moving in daylight around November 4-6, but I need to move a stand so I can stay completely downwind of the line that these deer seem to be traveling. Right now, the only stand there is in a really goofy spot, but I didn't put it there. 
My last tough decision is whether to put a flash camera there to get a really beautiful picture of him, or if that's just pressing my luck, and possibly alerting the neighbors. Maybe I'll switch to video mode instead. Stay tuned!

No comments: