Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cameras are hung!

I got my first official permission here in Wisconsin last week, on 240 acres, and I was able to get three cameras hung on Saturday, the 26th. So although the bachelor groups will be breaking up in the next week or two, I'm able to have eyes out there for a short while, while I try to decide where to hang a stand or two.
The primary strategy for the early season is hunting the field edges in observation-stand locations. I know there are plenty of deer using this farm - as there's beans, corn, alfalfa, oaks, and even apple trees for even the pickiest of deer! It's all custom farmed, and of the 240, I would guess that about 160-180 are tillable, leaving about 80-60 acres of timber (mostly along the north edge) that runs up the ridge. I think it's very possible to kill a doe before the end of September on the field edge, and maybe even a buck. I'd like to hang two stands and as we approach the third week in October, I'll move my cameras over licking branches on field edges. I want to find a scrape or two in a staging area up in the woods/pasture that might produce at last light. I'm learning that I don't have enough stands with me!
Stay tuned for some pics and videos next week!

No comments: