Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Good Beginning to the End of the Year

I checked cameras yesterday in the zero degree weather. I pulled down the camera that was northeast of Pete's in the tamarack pinch and moved it up to the spring (actually pointed at the spring). When I looked at the water in the unfrozen spring I saw some weird movement. It actually looked like a fish had gotten stranded (like you'd see in a shallowing ditch), but upon closer look, it was several leopard frogs who were hanging on to dear life by finding a warm water spring. It was such an odd sight because it literally was zero degrees outside the water. So I started pulling frogs out by their back legs and within seconds they would freeze solid. It was pretty funny. I probably pulled out 15-20 frogs.
Then I pulled the camera that was NW of the bus and brought that over to the edge of the standing beans. I moved the camera from John's farmyard north up on the snowmobile trail on the east end - just west of the Little Hill. On my way in there, right near the intersection of trails, I came across a beautiful rub from this year on a cedar tree. There's a good spot for a tree stand that is partly hid by some cedar bows. I'll try to hang a stand in there.
I brought the camera from NW of the bus and brought that up along the edge of the beans, even farther north from the other camera. After placing that camera, I checked the Bushnell and opted to take it out of heavy metal bear safe, which was probably making the camera body even colder. The display wasn't working, so after this next week, I'll probably take the camera in and return it.
Lastly, I headed to the camera that I set up on the 18th of November. I was reviewing the pictures and the second picture was a good picture of Chippy. The very next picture was Bullwinkle. Both bucks were there on the 1st of December - Chippy in the early morning and Bullwinkle 45 minutes after shooting light.
This is a great spot that I feel I'm going to have a legitimate chance this coming weekend. Hopefully the batteries hold on until I get out there to hunt it. The pictures have slowed down, as expected, but my hopes are high that this food source is going to be dynamite in the next 10 days. I'm about due for new batteries in every camera. It's been a while since they've been changed.
Although Chippy is 4 years old, having about 8 inches of his left G3 broken off really makes me want to let him go one more year. Bullwinkle is busted up too, but he's an old warrior. I'd love to sink a Rocket Meat Seeker 3 Blade through his lungs this weekend.
Hopefully it all comes together.

No comments: