Sunday, July 3, 2011

Good Riddance June

Well, ending with a 90 degree day (a heat index of over 100), June came and went. I checked three of my five cameras yesterday and replaced batteries. Sadly, out of nearly 1200 photos, I got hardly any buck pictures. I was flabbergasted. I got one fox, one bear, and one porcupine. I did manage to see the most pregnant doe ever on camera:
Where have all the bucks gone? Seems like they're all right by the cabin... or maybe just on top of the ridge. Mom and dad seem to keep getting pictures of bucks. Thankfully there are lots of soybeans planted. I'm sure July will turn out way better than June. Actually, when I was driving up to The Hill, I was able to confirm  more soybeans than I had previously estimated. This is great for overall herd health, but a little tougher when it comes to pinpointing bucks with the cameras. I'm still fairly confident I can get most, if not all the same bucks as last year, but I'm going to need to have no camera malfunctions, and so on. There are beans around the Tweeten Island, which was the same as last year. The only down fall is that beans were replanted in the fields where Skyscraper was sighted a whole bunch and again on the other side of the highway. I was hoping for wheat and that the deer would make their way to the east side of the creek. Not the case. For the most part, things will be a lot like last year, with the exception of the soybeans up north. This will prove to be an interesting task - figuring out points of entrance to the beans (where I have permission).
The week of June 20-24 (while I was at Bluewater) was almost all rain. The river's on it's way back up now, and we need it to dry up. We got what we needed for moisture, but now we need it to back off. It's supposed to be nice this week of Independence and that should be good for the beans. By the time I'm back from speaking at Bluewater (18-22) the pictures should be rolling in. Here's what the beans looked like when I was out:
Dad and I were drawn for the zone 12 bear hunt and we're both getting pretty excited about that. I also saw what looked to be sunflowers planted by Steve's stand. I can't even think of a time where sunflowers were planted there. It's been a long time since anything other than a grass has been planted in that 80. I've got my new Hoyt Alphamax 32, Fuse Pilot 5 pin Sight, Fuse 6" Axium Stabilizer, and my Fuse Whisker Biscuit Rest on the way. The only thing left is a quiver. I should be set up in a week and ready to kill. It'll be good to dial it in and shoot some arrows.
I also checked on the Frigid Forage Clover mix I broadcasted in early May. It's lookin' great:

No comments: