Wednesday, January 12, 2011

They're Definately Dropping!





People have been talking that this year was an early drop for sheds. I've got 3 different mature bucks on camera with both sides off so far - before the 9th. Whitey was the first to drop (December 18th), then I figure Mr. 140 was next (pre-January 6th), and then Scabby 10 has dumped both sides (pre-January 9th). We're supposed to have -30 this weekend. I'm sure that will take care of the rest of the antlers. I put a camera back on the east side of John's farmyard and I'm glad I did. That's where both bucks have been coming in to scratch around the yard. The deer are still going back to last years' pile of sunflowers that were cleaned out of John's bins over a year ago. Yuck. That just tells you what the food situation is this year. Not good. The activity has slowed significantly on the east side in Rice's field. The beans are still number one, but there's been a little less activity out there. The deer are milling on grasses, goldenrod, and other browse. I'm sure they're into the cedars. My hunch is that they almost picked those beans clean. I'm sure there's antlers just south of the road on some private property. I'll call around the end of march to get permission. With the amount of snow we're getting, these sheds are going to be buried. There has been a lot more tracks through the cut from last winter NW of John's lately. My guess is that I'll need to spend some time back in the swamp on some trails before the ice melts (like last year). I really just want to find one antler over 60". That's like the hill I just can't see over the top of. I can't get past 60 at Minnesota Hill. It's possible. We know that for sure.
I've got plenty of pictures of timberwolves in the last 2 months.




No comments: