Tuesday, August 26, 2008

18 Days


I have been busy this summer. Sadly, I've become completely neglegent of this blog thing. But, since bow season opens very soon, I imagine I will have more significant things to write. Steph and I have been out a few times throughout the summer, checking trail cameras and just going for drives some evenings. We've laid eyes on a few good bucks..."Perfect 10", "Crabs", and "Hanger" just to name a few. It's so funny to name deer. It seems cheesey and I'm still not all too comfortable with the idea, but it does make for easier communication. Anyway, I've picked up two Cuddeback Captures this summer and for a few days now, have had three cameras of my own and one other of my parents' getting pictures. About a week ago, a bear put his paw on my Wildview camera and dented the clear plastic lens cover. So that camera's on its last leg. I've gotten two bucks on camera that will be over Pope & Young, but otherwise, not much yet. Hopefully as the cooler weather continues in the night time, more bucks will be up on their feet.

Last year on the 28th of August, I saw a bachelor group that had two bucks completely out of velvet and had their grey coats, while the other three (including the biggest one) still were in full velvet, with their red summer coats. It was odd to say the least. So that's just around the corner.

I got a call today from the DNR asking if I wanted to be put on a short list of hunters to hunt a 'nuisance bear'. I said yes, and so if the landowner calls me, I have a chance to take a bear the easy way. It'd still be fun, I think. I'd just have to get it on video. I'll write more and more as days grow closer to fall.

No comments: