Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Weekend


I have been spending less time in the woods lately. With the outbursts of ticks, mosquitos, and poison ivy, it will likely be less and less in the months to come. However, I will still be checking and moving trail cameras. Steph and I were out yesterday morning cutting a few trees down so I could see another50 yards from my permanent stand. Also I wanted to cut until we hit a tree big enough to set up a trophy rock out there. Well we finally found one and right near the end of falling it, I got the chain pinched in the tree. "Stupid Tree!"
After getting dad's chainsaw out there, he and I were able to cut just enough on the side to roll the tree off the stump and, more importantly, off the saw. I still have about a dozen trees to cut to make thing how I want it down that strip, but I suppose I'll be back out there again in a week or two.
As far as trail cameras, I'm still only running the one. The number of pictures have lessened a bit, but I'm optimistic that by putting out the old thick molasses, they'll pick up here in the next two weeks. I ended up switching the camera to video though. The biggest reason I wanted to switch it to video mode is because Sunday morning the 25th, we woke up to five bucks crossing the corner of the yard up at The Hill. This tells me that they're finally getting into their bachelor groups. When the camera is set on picture mode, it takes a picture when triggered, but then has to wait one full minute to process the picture. A lot can happen in one minute. Those five bucks were there and gone in about two or three minutes. So, I set the camera to take 25 second videos. Yes, the camera still needs one minute to reset, but at least this way, we'll get a better look at each deer. The only downside to video mode is how much it sucks the batteries. I'll likely have to go change them in two weeks.
Anyway, it's going to be interesting to watch the antler growth of these bucks. There were at least three of them that I would call mature (4 years old or older).

No comments: