Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Another Good Day! - Sheds 17, 18, & 19

Spring has been a long time coming! Now that it's here, It won't be long at all before these antlers disappear under fresh new grass. We've combed through some of the areas that I was anticipating would produce for us. There's still some areas that I'll need to go through this week, but we're definitely running out of time.
On Saturday, a friend and I went out to two spot that I had never been. The fresh deer sign wasn't very good at all, but somehow after walking for about 10 minutes, I walked right into a buried set from a 2.5 year old buck.
It probably has laid there for at least 1 year, maybe two. The funny part was that when I spotted it, I only saw the one antler - even when I was right up to it. Then my buddy said, "Well don't you want it's mate?" I said, "Are you messing with me?" The match was literally ONE FOOT away from the other and I just couldn't see it. He could see from where he was standing and I couldn't. I offered it to him and he said no thanks... "just wouldn't be right". I would have eventually seen the other antler when I pulled the first one out of the leaves, but it just goes to show how tough it can be to see an antler. I've drastically slowed down how fast I walk and it's paying off. We saw tons of rut sign, but the food sources nearby just got pounded this fall and so they didn't winter around there. 
Next, we headed to Malung to a spot that I've had my eye on and just recently got permission to walk through. Same thing - tons of summer and fall sign, but nothing for winter sign. I managed to kick a couple geese off their nests. One goose only had one egg and the second goose had six magical omelets waiting to be cooked up!
 After we had combed most of the property and started thinking of heading to the truck, I came up a ridge away from the river bottom and looked to my right. BAM! Tines! Right as I saw it, my phone started ringing, it was my friend who was with, but I hadn't seen him for a little while. He was calling to tell me that he just found a little fork antler. I told him about mine and he came right over to take a look. The closer I got to it, the better the mass looked. It is a little bit different when you have no clue the history or life of a particular buck. Still exciting, but not as exciting as knowing the buck. This antler looked like it also had laid there for at least one year, probably two. It measured 58 6/8", which is not only my best shed of the year, but I believe it's my best Minnesota shed ever! Kinda sad, but I'll take it!

No comments: