Monday, January 14, 2013

Three Shed Day!

As word spread that we were going to get a pretty severe snowstorm, I rearranged a couple things so I could get out in the woods on Thursday the 10th. With a warm front moving in right up until the Arctic front collided with it, it made it all the way up to 45 degrees on the 10th of January!
I started off the day by checking the cameras incase they would tell me anything about where I wanted to spend my time. They didn't tell me much more than I already knew, so I decided I would grid the cedars and try to stay to the west of where I found shed number one, since I thought I covered the immediate area pretty well. I found some good sign and although my first few passes didn't produce anything, I knew that there was a narrow strip of cedars on the opposite side of a trail that could hold some deer. Ever since the October ice storm, the deer have been eating cedar boughs. I think it was something to do with the actual ice and heavy freezing sweetening the cedar boughs, but also, the heavy snow and wind knocked down several trees that has been providing an awesome secondary food source for these deer. Having said that, the little strip of cedars had ample sign like this huge rub:
 As I was skirting around the south edge (the sunlit edge) I spotted a pedicle shooting out of the snow! Knowing which bucks had shed and which ones had not, I was pretty positive it was the scrubby 3 year old 10.
As I got closer, I could confirm my suspicion. I was very optimistic that the other side would be nearby. I'm not sure why I thought he would've just dropped them together. This was the buck's right side and according to the pictures of this buck shed out, his right pedicle looked a few hours fresher than his left.
So, the scenario I built was that this buck was bedded in these cedars (only carrying one side) during the daytime of the 3rd of January and when he got up, he shook it off his head. He was nowhere to be seen on the evening of the 1st all the way until he showed up on the 3rd. So I'm guessing his other antler is on the ground somewhere in transit from his little excursion on the 1st and 2nd. It could easily be a mile away.
After I got my photos and video, I scanned that little area pretty good and I must've done a good job because not 50 feet away was another antler! Too bad it wasn't from the same buck.
This little guy was from the yearling 6 (our next local trophy). Oddly enough, I was really hoping to find one of his antlers because of how many dozens of photos we've got of this particular yearling. He is definitely the most local buck we know of. He has spent his entire life within our property. I was starting to feel pretty good at this point and really wanted to find the match to either the 2 year old 8 or that 3 year old 10. I gridded most of the likely areas but I needed to get out the west to check another camera.
I made it out there and wouldn't you know it, right in a patch of cedars, there was a fat spike shed!
This is from a 3 point buck that had good mass for a yearling. His pedicles are very fat and his rack was shockingly wide. It'll be really cool to watch him grow up, too.
After that, I pretty much had to get back to the cabin as dad drove up and we were going to drive to another farm a few miles west to look at a field of standing soybeans. Well, we found plenty of deer sign, but found zero antlers. The only explanations I could think of were A) somebody had already walked these fields or B) the bucks in the area simply hadn't shed yet. I hope its the latter and we can get back out there in a week or two. All in all, it was a great day for Minnesota shed hunting.

No comments: