Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sit # 9 - Last Camera Check Before The Cruising Begins

On Wednesday the 10th, I sat in the morning again trying to see if HighRise would show his pretty face - and rack. He did no such thing. I drove around the section to see if I could see anywhere that a deer had crossed a ditch or left a track and there really was only one or two places, so my guess is that he's not even within a half mile of that spot. I did have an easy shot at a huge raccoon but let him go. I also had a fox come by at about 15 yards.
The snow is pretty much gone from our big storm 12 days ago. I was able to get out today to move some cameras around and check the battery life before the pre-rut kicks into gear in less than a week. I picked up on several young bucks north of John's.
I also picked up on two different two year olds north of Pete's.
I took the camera from where I've been trying to encounter HighRise and moved it northwest of the bus, which may have been a mistake. This storm knocked down a million trees and getting back to my stand was a battle. I lost my way right away and had to navigate from my phone. Once I got to the logging road, it was covered up with fallen trees. It's hardly going to make for a travel corridor with all of those blowdowns. I set the camera up anyway and tried to at least make a stretch that the deer might want to use. If I don't have much for traffic by the 27th, I'm going to put it over a scrape.
Last, but not least, I check the Bushnell in between the gravel pits and was pleased to see lots of videos, including three different bucks:
A chunky 3 year old 8 point. He looks like Scabby the way his beams curl so tight. I might even call him Scabby Junior.
Then there was another mature deer, probably 4 years old who is a clean 8 point with longer beams he'd probably score in that 125 area.
Lastly, there was a huge bodied buck, I would guess 5 or 6 years old. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on with his rack, but I realized that he's a mainframe 10 point that has already broken off his right G2. He could have an extra point or two, but he's a really nice deer for that area.
I hope to get some more clear pictures of him as time goes on. I may even retrieve my camera from NW of the bus and try to get a better picture of these deer. The videos are great, but they're always fuzzy. I put my Wildviews over scrapes. I put one on the top of the hill by the cabin and the other down by the river on the pinch. It should be interesting. Hopefully the batteries hold up.

No comments: