Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Farewell To Velvet & The Homecoming Of HighRise

With only 3 days standing between me and legally shooting a buck, the anticipation is through the roof.  It's amazing how fast the crops have peaked and are ready to be harvested again. On our trip to the cities I saw several people harvesting soybeans on the 7th of September. That's just crazy! The deer will adapt as usual and any green food they can find will be key. I checked the camera I have had in the same area most of the summer and finally, on the 5th of September who should walk in front of the camera, but HighRise himself!
He lost a little height in his G2s, but he's gained it everywhere else. His brows are close to 6 & 7". His G3s are 8.5 and 9 at least. His 4s are both over 5". He should gross 140 if not higher. He should be 4 years old this year. It's just great to have some photos to confirm his whereabouts, health, and antler development. He looks to be doing just fine.
There's also been a big bear visiting the same camera site pretty routinely. I'll have to kill him.
Lastly, most of the bucks are out of velvet, if not all. I was surprised not to catch any of them going out in August, but for whatever reason, on the 4th-6th most of the bucks I've been watching shed theirs. Gnarly held on to his left G3 for about 12-24 hours before sparing with another buck and losing it somewhere. So now he's just a 3 year old 7 point.
Blacknose looks good, but I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed how much velvet there really was on that buck. He looks pretty delicate now.
Still no sign of PegLeg. I heard that somebody saw him out out on the other side of the creek in the beans. I hope he's smarter than his uncle Skyscraper was.
I finally set a camera up on the spring back in the swamp. This year has been a severe drought. Now the weather is calling for about a week of rain due to hurricane Isaac. That's good for the roads and fields, but it throws a wrench in the placement of that camera. One of my Wildviews is set out specifically to find Pencil. I need to close the gap on these missing bucks. There not really missing, they're just unmonitored. I'll see if I can change that.

No comments: