Friday, May 4, 2012

Creeping Death

 
I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I finally got a picture of a Black Timber Wolf. Wolves come in all phases of color, but black just isn't very common. The downside is that there is a new wolf running through the area. Another incredible thing is that we've been running at least one trail camera for 6 years now. 1 camera in 2006, 2 in 2007, 4 in 2008, 6 in 2009, 6 in 2010, 9 in 2011, and in 2012, we'll be running 9 or 10 cameras between mom and dad and I. In all of these seasons we've had around 20 pictures of timber wolves and NONE were black. So, this is a new wolf to our area, or he's managed to slip by the cameras. This is not a small wolf either. The top of his shoulder is probably 30" or so. The stump in the picture is about 24-28". It's 36" to the center of my hip and 40" to the top of my belt. This wolf is big. I really hope I get a chance to hunt wolves this coming fall/winter. It will be a serious challenge, but very worth the experience. I'll have the .357 ready, that's for sure.
Also while out and about I got some more tasks done. I got some trace salt out on some of the salt licks and I started a new one. I've been wanting on along the woodline that borders what has been standing beans for the last two summers. There was rumor of it getting put into corn this year. I don't think it will grow personally, but whatever. The deer have become conditioned to using that area each fall and winter so I need to adjust to them. I made my way out to the Little Hill, where I got the picture of the black wolf along with a few bucks have come across the stump. There was one good lookin' buck, which I would bet is Bullwinkle, just by the mass already in process.
This might be his last year. I'd love to get a shot at him and get an accurate age on him. He will for sure be 7 this year, if not 8. A few other bucks are starting to find the salt, but it's a little too early to identify them.
I also checked the camera I have out in the Refuge. Sure enough, a bear messed with it a little bit, but didn't spin it enough to keep from taking pictures. Luckily after that a decent buck came through. Well, it was two bucks. The older looked like he was going to be a 3 or 4 year old this year. We'll see what he turns into.
These salt licks need a little rain to push some of the salt into the ground. The gravel roads are dry as can be and it seems like every farmer is seeding wheat. It's really going to be an interesting year. There's almost zero soybeans out on the south end between John's and Pete's. In fact, I have yet to find anyone whose planted soybeans anywhere near The Hill. That could make for a poor diet. I'm really hoping there will be some beans up close to the hill again. Last year it changed a lot of things, but this year,I'll be ready for it.There will be sunflowers NE of Orville's, which will pull deer and more so bears into that area.

No comments: