Sunday, April 4, 2010

2 hours = 2 antlers


On Thursday, I worked until about lunch and I had a couple hours until we left for Fargo for Easter. There's been a few spots that I've been thinking about that I know I hadn't covered enough earlier this winter. We had a good 18-22" of snow and until Jan 25th or so, it was pretty fluffy. An antler could've easily been lost. We had some freezing rain on the 25th & 26th and oddly enough, that was the rough dates of when most of the 3 and 4 year olds had lost their antlers - between the 18th and 30th of January. To my knowledge, there has only been two antlers found off the 9 bucks on the hitlist, that is, unless the neighbor who picked up the typical twelve was indeed WideWeb. That remains to be seen. My high school classmate picked up one side of Mr. 140 and dad picked up one side of Scabby 8. That leaves between 12 & 14 more antlers to find. Frustrating! The upside to this post is that when I had only a few hours on thursday, I managed to pick up a set off a 2 year old 8 point I called the pencil 8 because of the complete lack of mass. He has 18" mainbeams, which is pretty good for a two year old up here. They were laying about 4 feet apart.

I saw the first one and after I figured out which buck it was from, I was backing up to take a picture when I stepped right over the other side. It was in a puddle mostly submerged. This buck has been sighted a number of times throughout the fall. In fact, the first sighting to my knowledge was one minute before The Clown on the night of October 22nd.
The two bucks' pictures were one minute apart. Because of this "Pencil 8", I nearly had ZERO pictures of The Clown out of velvet. Little Punk.

Steph and I are headed out a bit tomorrow in hopes of locating one of these other 12 antlers.

No comments: