Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ides of March


Dad and I went out yesterday morning for about 4 hours. We hiked some swampy state quarters with no luck. There was plenty of sign there in December and January and so it should've been easy to come across something, but nope. Walking back there was cool to see the lay of the land. The majority of the topo is simply wet, but every 50-100 yards there were little plateaus that were dry and had prime bedding opportunities. There were plenty of small rubs and whatnot. We also came across the same massive scrape site as I found last year. Another plateau that had at least 8 licking branches. What a place for a camera next year.
Then at work yesterday afternoon, I mentioned that dad and I were out looking for antlers and a neighbor up there said he picked up a big 12 point
set just a few days ago. NW of John's Bins along a deer trail near where they were taking out trees. UNREAL! I asked him more questions about them and it really seems like they could be WideWeb. I hope so. He said his brother's got them down in the cities to have them officially measured. They should be back up here in April.
Mom and Dad walked around that clearcut, with nothing to show for it. I better get back out there.

No comments: