Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hard Frost

I woke up to my 4:30 alarm, well actually I woke up at 4:29 and looked at my watch and thought, uh oh... my alarm's not going to go off. Then it did. I ate my two pieces of peanut butter toast and flew out the door trying not to make my sleeping beauty.
I drove up to the dike. 22 degrees on the drive up, which was by far the coldest its been this year so far. I had gotten a few pictures of does and fawns and few yearling bucks, but nothing showed their face. I sat from about 6:25 until 8:45am. I saw nothing. My toes were numb.
I drove to the refuge and checked my camera. There was a few pictures. Seems the activity is picking up finally. There was a 2 year old that visited and worked the scrape, the hind end of a deer the evening before (thursday night), and the 2 year old 8 point and his sidekick were in the shack field at the hill at about 6:30 (about 45 minutes before dark).
As I was driving back from the scrape I saw two spike bucks cross the road at about 10:25am. So they were moving a little later. I think because the frost was so hard, it was crunchy until about 9:30am. I don't think they liked that much. It was a south wind.
I drove along the East West road by the hill looking for fresh tracks and there were quite a few. I crossed the ditch and found a decent spot to try hanging my wildview, we'll see if Wide Web or some of the others make their way through there.
The temperatures are supposed to stay chilly, and there's a little blanket of snow on the ground. I'm sure something would've hit those scrapes last night. I can't wait to check them, but I need to not 'overcheck' them.

No comments: